Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Consciousness

I was trying to find out more about an American philosopher, author, social activist and teacher - Maxine Greene. Got this from eudotopia.org

"I'm very influenced by existentialism and the thought that you can be submerged in the crowd, and if you're submerged in the crowd and no opportunity to think for yourself, to look through your own eyes, life is dull, flat and boring. The only way to really awaken to life, awaken to the possibilities, is to be self-aware. I use the term wide-awakeness. Without the ability to think about yourself, to reflect on your life, there's really no awareness, no consciousness. Consciousness doesn't come automatically; it comes through being alive, awake, curious and often furious."

In her 1998 autobiographical essay, she wrote..."I grew up in a family that discouraged intellectual adventure and risk. To me, the opera and the Sunday concerts in the Brooklyn Museum Sculpture Court and the outdoor concerts in the summer were rebellions, breakthroughs, secret gardens. Since the age of seven, of course, I was writing."

Why do I have this strong feeling that I am gonna be a fan of this philosopher?...On the contrary, why do I have this strong feeling that in the context that I am in, there may not be many who are fans of her?

No comments:

Post a Comment