Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Reunion dinner

On the eve of CNY, unlike the past years, we did not have our reunion dinner in any restaurant with our grandma, uncle and auntie. Instead of the usual eight or nine course dinner for the nine of us, we had dinner at home, four of us. My bro will only be back tomorrow, second day of CNY. Hmm, according to my grandma, coz it’s not really one year since my grandpa passed away last year, thus, we can’t really so called celebrate CNY, must be kinda low key kind. Not quite sure about these customs but will just respect what the elderly said. Anyway, I really dun mind homecooked food for reunion dinner. There’s cabbage soup (with lotsa great ingredients!), our family’s favourite – wu xiang (the Teochew style, which we probably make and eat only about once a year), steamed fish (my favourite kinda fish! Thanks Mummy!) and abalone. Simple stuff but just got this cosy feeling eating all these together, a pity my bro couldn’t join us, nevertheless, sent him a photo of those food prepared. Well, the ladies of the Chan family helped to prepare the meal. My mother, the supervisor of the kitchen, made the delicious and rich soup. I fried the wu xiang (we made so much of those!), it was supposed to be my sis’s job but she chose the easier task instead – slicing the abalone. Well, I guess I dun need an eight-course meal in a restaurant to understand the meaning of family reunion dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment