Saturday, April 10, 2010

A day at the clinic

That night...I must have had the most terrible headache of my life, I could barely open my eyes, my head felt hot and felt as if there were tongs all over my head, each of them gripping my head so hard that it nearly brought me to tears. The terrible headache has also caused me to feel nauseous. Taking a panadol in the afternoon did not seem to be of much help. I knew I gotta lie down, went to bed pretty early but was wondering if the monsterous headache would go away, it was so difficult to get to sleep...
I knew I needed to stay home the next morning, my head still hurt a little and I wasn't too sure if my brain could really function that day, my whole body didn't seem to obey me well, it liked its position on my bed. My mother thought I had overslept and quickly came to my room to wake me up. In a daze, told her that I wasn't well and was not going to work...That late morning, packed a book, a bottle of water in a little bag and headed to Dr Chiew's clinic, all ready to wait for at least an hour to see him. Just as I have guessed, the clinic was filled with many people. I was asked twice at the counter if I really do wanna see Dr Chiew and was reminded three times that I needed to wait very long. Well, I guess I was all 'geared up' for the long wait. Started reading a few pages of my book but it was kinda difficult to concentrate, there was still this throbbing pain in my head and was probably too tired to read, just wanted to close my eyes, wish I had a bed then...Two elderly sitting near me were raving about how good Dr Chiew was and chatting about what good food can be found around that area, they were Teochews and they really reminded me of my grandmother, sometimes, you just feel like holding their hands and giving them a hug...
About almost one and a half hours later, it was finally my turn to see the doctor. Have not seen Dr Chiew for quite a couple of months, he seemed to have aged and he looked tired too. But his warm smile stays, I think one would just feel better with his greeting, it's always so sincere and so full of care, has not changed a bit all these years. As usual, he was really meticulous and patient, trying to understand and explain. Knowing my old problem, he also asked about my gastric. Sometimes, his words of advice bring comfort, well, I must say it did that day. I actually dread getting sick, going to a doctor and taking medication but that day, I knew the main prescription for me was to have lotsa rest...

No comments:

Post a Comment