Sunday, April 5, 2009

Going gently into the night...

I was reading The Straits times just yesterday and it was about death and dying…going gently into the night. It is good to know that more of us are more aware of palliative care and probably more willing to openly talk about death and dying. But it kinda saddened me to have read that Shin Na has passed away in January this year. Have watched a documentary featuring her and her life just last year. Her positivity and strength in battling cancer touched me a great deal. From Shin Na’s blog…”I’m sad about the pain my illness and death have caused my friends and family. Losing people you care about and the thought of never, ever seeing them again, or hugging them, or hearing them laugh is heartbreaking. Trust me, I know. You’re losing ONE of me. I’m losing ALL of you. But here’s something even more sad – what if we had never met, never gotten to know each other, never laughed together or cried together or learnt from each other? Sure, we’d have saved ourselves some heartache, but we’d have lost a great deal more than that.”

Dear Shin Na, we had never met before but I am glad to know about you. I can still remember your smile, the positivity that was written all over your face and the abundance love that you have in your heart despite the pain from your illness. I am sure you have touched our hearts in one way or another…

No comments:

Post a Comment