Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dr William Tan

We were asked to choose a sharing session to attend during the Excel Fest in 2007. When I saw his name as the presenter in one of the sessions, I knew I had to meet this guy, I knew I had to hear him speak, I knew I gotta get a seat in his sharing session. I signed up for his session the very next minute. Indeed, his session was quite a popular one. I remember I was real excited just before the sharing, have heard so much about him but to meet him, wow, I must say that’s indeed a great honour. During that session, he shared about his experiences, his thoughts and basically his life story. His determination, perseverance, his faith, his belief move him through trials in life. What he has done has touched lives and brought cheers to many. He even battled against elements of nature, that’s probably a very good example of mind over body, he reached the extremes but to him, there is never a limit, he keeps challenging himself and keeps bringing himself to greater heights. He sees adversities as opportunities. Nothing seems impossible for him. My ex-colleagues and I managed to chat with him a little at the end of the sharing session. He’s so approachable, friendly and willing to share. There was completely no airs in him when we chatted, one would feel as if there’s this friendship which existed between us way before meeting him.

In his book “No Journey Too Tough”, he wrote We all have our limitations, but once we recognise them, we can dream of going beyond these limitations. Physical disability is visible, but there are those who are limited by disabilities which are not visible…in the mind and spirit. I believe that the human spirit is indomitable and has helped me stay on course.”

Dear Dr Tan, your journey in life has been an inspiration to many of us in one way or another. Indeed, no journey is too tough for you. It’s such an honour to be able to meet you in person. You know, I feel there’s really lots and lots for me to learn from you, I kinda feel so little compared to you…I was reading the Sunday Times today and was kinda taken aback to learn about your cancer. But you are determined to fight this battle. Go Dr Tan, go fight this one, the way you have always fought and challenged the others. Looking forward to hearing from you and your success story in September when you will raise funds for the Straits Times School Pocket Money Fund. You are in my thoughts and I am sure there are many who will be behind you in thoughts and in spirit.

1 comment:

  1. Siew Boon

    Do you still have his book? If you have, I would love to learn from this great man. Could I borrow the book from you please.

    ReplyDelete