Sunday, July 19, 2009

Simple words...great ripples

I was in one of the restrooms at Wheelock Place today. One of the cleaners was trying to replenish the toilet roll and a Caucasian lady came out from one of the cubicles. She turned to the cleaner and said, “This toilet is really clean and nice. You have done a great job. It really feels good to visit a clean toilet. I am really happy. Thank you!”

The old aunty was kinda puzzled what the Caucasian lady was trying to tell her and thought that she was asking for something. I knew I had to get that message across and tried using dialect to translate what the Caucasian lady has said. Thank goodness, the old aunty understood Teochew. She broke into a great smile after hearing what I have said and replied in dialect that she always made sure it’s clean by constantly cleaning it. The Caucasian lady thanked her again before leaving the restroom. What happened really brought much warmth to my heart at that moment. That’s really sweet! How many of us actually take the effort and time to express our appreciation for these little things that are done for us? Sometimes, we never realise that a simple word of appreciation can turn a life around, we never realise how powerful it can be. Before I left the restroom, the old aunty took out a mop and started mopping the floor. Somehow, I could feel that her heart was smiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment