Sunday, February 8, 2009

Curiosity doesn't always kill, it might heal...

“The curious case of Benjamin Button”… I should say Benjamin had kinda an interesting last name, I was actually kinda curious how wonderful that movie was going to be, with quite a number of Oscar nominations. But well, my policy is always not to have expectations when watching a movie, just go and enjoy and feel. I watched “The curious case of Benjamin Button” over the weekend. Hmm, pretty long movie, nearly three hours I guess, but it didn’t really bore me neither did it really grip me and get my full attention throughout. I feel that there wasn’t any outstanding performance by Brad Pitt, dun think he would deserve an Oscar for that role. Maybe the makeup crew is well deserving of an award. I feel that Cate Blancett has always got that character, confidence and elegance in the way she carries herself (I feel that is beauty itself). In this movie, hmm, she didn’t really win my admiration for her role in this movie, not really much chemistry between the two of them too. On the other hand, Angelina Jolie’s character in “Changeling” did move me, I could feel her pain and how trapped she was in that situation during that era.
Anyway, I remember clearly one scene when an old lady was teaching Benjamin Button how to play the piano and I can never really forget what she said to Benjamin, I think it goes something like that… “It’s not about how well you play, but it’s about how you feel about what you are playing.” Not sure if these were the exact words but I like this sentence! Coz I totally agree with it, well, if I could understand it from my perspective. Be it a musician or an artist, feelings are important in their areas of work or should I say passion. It is only when a musician feels deeply for the piece of music he’s playing that the listeners could be moved and touched coz as listeners, we actually could feel what the musician is trying to communicate, I guess that’s appreciation. No use memorizing pieces of scores and just play well but not feel for the music that you are playing. No use just knowing the skills and techniques of art but not feel for one’s art piece. In life, I think we can try to relate this sentence to our lives. Do you think it’s good and satisfying to just do a job well and not feel anything about what you are doing? Is success just determined by how great others look at it or could it be how your heart feels or define it?
Well, Benjamin was so different from the rest, he was really special but there were still people around him who loved him dearly for the way he was, not many but there were… I guess to me, this movie is also about seizing the moment, some things just do not last and before it comes to an end…Carpe Diem

No comments:

Post a Comment