Monday, June 8, 2009

Me and myself

One of the nights during our camp, a group of my colleagues were having supper together and we were talking about introverts and extroverts. We realised that almost all of our colleagues are kinda introverts. I think none of us is fully an introvert or completely an extrovert, it’s just how much of each you have. Maybe as Asians, we tend to have more of the introvert element. We choose to keep to ourselves sometimes, be more in touch with our own thoughts and just feel that we do not need people to be around us or to express ourselves openly. However, at times, given some situations, we know we need to interact and maybe some of us take pleasure in enjoying and sharing certain moments with others.

I remember there was one day not too long ago, I was walking alone along Orchard Road on a weekday, there were still quite a number of people walking along the street despite being a working day. All I saw were unfamiliar faces around me. Some say familiarity brings about comfort. Hmm, I probably beg to differ, it was a comfortable moment for me then and I kinda enjoyed it. I thought I was getting in touch with my own thoughts while walking along that busy street, not concerned at all about striking a conversation and probably not wanting to. People walking past me…they would not know me at all, they were too engrossed in their conversations with others, too busy with their schedule for the day, too bothered by the day’s happenings. You know, sometimes, I feel that we spend too much looking at the outside and what’s going on around us but spend too little time looking at what’s within us. That day, along Orchard Road, in the hustle and bustle of life, amongst many people, in the midst of noises…I see and sense silence within me…

No comments:

Post a Comment