Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Salted vegetables and duck soup


Actually, had been wanting to try preparing this soup and decided to give it a go today. I guess just thinking about it is not enough, must really try doing it! Realised that our family has never tried preparing this soup at home. I kinda volunteered to buy the ingredients but Mummy insisted that she would get the ingredients from the wet market. Ha, come to think of it, yup, I didn't even know where to buy the duck :P Well, maybe to Mummy, I may be like a lost sheep in the wet market, bleating pitifully amongst all the 'veterans' who frequent the wet market. Although the wet market is often an unfamiliar place to me, I always love the feel of being in one, like to observe the happenings and listen to conversations around me. Anyway, back to my soup. Ingredients include half a duck (skin removed and cut into 4 or 5 pieces), some salted vegetables (soaked in water for about 20 minutes before putting into the pot), tomatoes, garlic, ginger slices, peppercorn. Forgot to buy plums so did not add any :P The whole kitchen was filled with the aroma of the soup near dinner time. Hmm, well, when I tasted the soup, kinda the right taste and the meat was real soft and tender after about nearly two hours of cooking in the pot. I should say the soup is good enough for me but something seemed to be missing but silly me couldn't tell again, could it be the absence of plums? :P My father thought the soup's fine. Well, I still love my soup, had two big bowls of it :) Maybe the next time if I have the chance to prepare this soup again, maybe I can add some tofu. Gosh, my tummy is filled with lotsa soup now...

3 comments:

  1. I want to try!!! Looks really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe Japanese curry and this soup, what do u think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, thanks for your confidence in my cooking :) Maybe looks yummy in pic but I think there's still room for improvement :P Jap curry and this soup should be a fine combo. You probably gotta let me have the English instructions for cooking those packets of Jap curry powder first :P

    ReplyDelete