Tuesday, September 20, 2011

The relationship between ideas, failures and creativity

Cooked pieces of 'yong tau foo' in the saucepan with black bean sauce, loved the colour combination!

Steamed! Phew, everything was intact :)

Trying my best to place the paste (minced meat + fish paste. Note: Don't use fish paste + prawn paste!) neatly on the pieces of capsicum before placing them in the steamer for eight minutes. Added light soya sauce, pepper, cornflour and egg white to the paste. Don't ask me quantity of each, I always estimate :P

Sometimes, when doing assignments drives me a little crazy, I would think of a new dish to prepare and then make a trip to the supermarket to get the necessary ingredients, haha, almost immediately I should say :P I was in the mood to cook up a little storm with an idea of mine after completing a draft of one of my assignments. Goodness, enough of assignments, quit talking about it all the time silly gal :P ...Okie, back to cooking. To me, it's not easy perfecting the black bean sauce. But I should say today's black bean sauce was a little better than those previous times :) I added black beans, garlic, dark soya sauce, sugar, pepper and I used cornflour to thicken the gravy. Garnishing was some spring onions and bits of red capsicum leftover from making those...oops, not sure what I should call those, yong tau foo? Hmm, anyway, I was satisfied with my performance today :) No disasters at least, capsicum still retained its crisp and paste was not too salty or bland after steaming. It does feel good to just get myself a little busy in the kitchen experimenting an idea and wondering if which way would work based on past experiences and numerous failures :P You know, as I was cooking in the kitchen, I was also thinking... In our lives, how many times are we allowed to fail? In our society, to what extent can we tolerate failure? In our workplace, do we have the space and room for failures? Well, maybe in failing, we do learn and within that space to fail, creativity is also unleashed and fostered. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment