Friday, September 30, 2011

Tai Hwa or Lai Heng?


Finally got to savour the famous Tai Hwa bak chor mee at Crawford Lane. I was with Mummy near that area to see a Chinese physician on Monday so decided to have lunch at that coffeeshop. There was already a queue. I kinda hate to queue to buy food, would rather eat something else. But Mummy said that since we were there, we should try. Okie, so there I was, queueing for bak chor mee. It wasn't that bad a wait, I think I queued for about twenty minutes. Verdict...Mummy prefers bak chor mee at Tai Hwa to Lai Heng (Toa Payoh). Hmm, I kinda like the freshness of the pork as well as the liver (not too overcooked, made me crave for more) at Tai Hwa but I prefer the noodles at Lai Heng. The vinegar added to the bak chor mee at Tai Hwa was a little too much for me too :P But nevertheless, good to at least give it a try. I really did not know Tai Hwa has had such a long history until Cons shared with me about how she has been eating Tai Hwa bak chor mee since she was a little girl. Took a walk with Mummy in the nearby neighbourhood, it was a pretty old estate but somehow reminded me much about my childhood...the smell of herbs from the traditional medical hall, the smell of dried shrimps from the provision shop, those elderly playing chess at the void deck and another group smoking cigar at a nearby coffeeshop, those children playing in the playground after school...Still remember how our gong gong used to bring us to the coffeeshop to drink hot milo and we liked to pour our milo into the saucer and drink with a little plastic spoon, still remember how we looked forward to going to the playground every evening when we were still kids...Still remember....Hmm, that was really such a long time ago...

No comments:

Post a Comment