Saturday, May 21, 2011

Bittergourd isn't really that bitter



When did I cook this? Hmm...I think it should be on Thursday. I was so busy moving stuff to the new place that I have really forgotten what really happened the past week. Anyway, I was curious to try out fermented black beans (I think this is the name coz I only know how to name it in Teochew). I tried that for yong tau hoo previously and thought maybe I wanna also try that out with bittergourd this time. Usually, Mummy would stir fry bittergourd with eggs but I tried bittergourd with minced meat and fermented black beans. You know, I always have a lack of confidence whenever I do marketing at the wet market. I was at this stall buying this kinda fermented black beans and I asked that auntie in Teochew very softly (hoping I did not pronounce it wrongly) if she had what I needed. She kinda gave me a look that says..."Excuse me, can't you see what stall this is? If I dun have it, who else would have?" She gave me a small packet of it and I quickly paid for it and walked off :P It's cheap, a packet of it for fifty cents. But frankly speaking, I wouldn't even know if I were to be cheated buying stuff in a wet market. Those that frequent the wet market often really know the products and prices well. Most of all, noticed that they're so capable at bargaining.

When I stir fried the black beans with the minced meat, it smelt great! But I was careful not to add too much coz the taste could be overpowering. Simple dish of bittergourd but I liked it, have always been a fan of bittergourd anyway :P I usually like to have porridge for dinner and I thought this, together with steamed codfish, goes well with my porridge. Sigh, have not had spicy food for quite some time already...really miss chilli padi, crave for ice cream too, dun mind some french fries, maybe a peanut butter toast would be good too :P Some people just do not learn, do they?

No comments:

Post a Comment